Inequalities may take many shapes and forms, shedding light on these can be the first step to reduce them. The Africa Trust Fund is looking for two young photographers with an original perspective, good conceptual skills and experience, to create a bigger picture of "inequalities in Uganda".
We will select one European Union (EU) and one Ugandan photographer who will receive a stipend to travel together through Uganda and develop their individual photography projects. The selected participants will also have the chance to meet the people benefiting from our Africa Trust Fund projects. Their final projects will be displayed at the European Development Days 2019, which will take place under the overall theme of "inequalities".
Uganda, a country rich in wildlife, home to different tribal heritages, diverse landscapes, is also one of the largest refugee hosting nations in the world and, whilst growing economically, still faces major challenges. If an image is worth a thousand words, this is a country of a million stories and contrasts. So, what is your take on inequalities in Uganda?
This edition of Sight-by-Side aims to shed light on inequalities in Uganda and on the work of the Africa Trust Fund in this country.
- You will discover Uganda with another fellow photographer and will visit some of the Africa Trust Fund projects that are changing the lives of local and refugees in the country
- Your work will be displayed at the European Development Days 2019 and in other locations around Europe and Uganda
- Your work will be shared on @Europeaid social media accounts and other official communication materials of the European Commission
- You will receive a stipend worth €3500 (based in EU) and €2800 (based in Uganda) for this project
- You will attend the European Development Days (2019) taking place on the 18-19 June in Brussels
- You are a European Union (EU) or Ugandan national
- You are 21 – 35 years old and free to travel between May and June 2019
- A passport that is valid for more than 6 months after May/June 2019
- You are available to engage in further promotional activities, including social media, in June 2019 and able to attend the European Development Days (2019) taking place on the 18-19 June in Brussels
- You have a good body of work and strong conceptual skills
- You are a self-sufficient, responsible and resourceful traveller
- You are a team-player, willing to share and enrich your experience by travelling in tandem with another photographer
- You are a sensitive listener to people’s stories
- You are a story-teller, both through images and through words
- You are fluent in spoken and written English
- You have active social media presence and are interested in sharing your journey with your fellow photographer and others
- Your final project should include 10-12 images to be printed
- You should have an additional 10-15 images to be kept in digital format
- You should keep a diary of your experience in Uganda
- You should be willing to share your experience through promotional activities, including social media
Application Process (download application form below)
- Share your narrative with us: what story will you tell and how will you include the Africa Trust Fund work in it? (max 700 words)
- Show us what you have done before by sharing a link to your previous work
- Tell us why you are the right person for this journey (max 300 words)
- Send us a link to your instagram account/s
Make sure you read the full completion rules
What is the Africa Trust Fund?
The Africa Trust Fund is working with partner countries to address the root causes for destabilisation, forced displacement and irregular migration across three regions: the Sahel and Lake Chad, the Horn of Africa and North Africa.
The Horn of Africa is currently hosting 4.5 million refugees, 70% of Africa's refugees and more than 20% of all refugees world-wide the highest number on the African continent. Our projects focus on economic development, support to access to basic services, prevention of irregular migration and fighting human trafficking, conflict prevention, addressing human rights abuses and enforcing the rule of law.
Explore this website to find out more!
- Közzététel dátuma
- 2019. március 12.
- Region and Country
- Horn of Africa