This project will support the activities of UNHCR in providing protection and emergency assistance as well as durable solutions to refugees and asylum-seekers in Libya through emergency evacuation to Rwanda. It aims to provide a multi-sectoral response for refugees and asylum seekers at risk in urban areas and those being held in Libyan detention centres. UNHCR expects to provide transit support to approximately 1,500 persons over 16 months from September 2019 through December 2020.
To increase support to the ETM in Rwanda, in June 2020 a top-up of €2.5 million was approved.
The specific objectives of the project are:
1. Provision of emergency protection and life-saving assistance for persons of concern evacuated from Libya with critical needs through the establishment of an Emergency Transit Mechanism (ETM);
2. Direct multi-sectoral assistance and protection to refugees and host communities is improved;
3. Provision of alternatives to irregular migration for persons in need of international protection through voluntary return, long term stay in Rwanda and resettlement.
EUR 12 500 000
- Projekta ilgums
- 2019. gada 13. nov. - 2019. gada 13. dec.
- Projekta īstenošanas vietas
- ES ieguldījums
- €12 800 000
- Region and Country
- Horn of Africa
- Strengthening resilience of communities
- United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees