This project supports the regional application of the Global Compact on Refugees (GCR) and its Comprehensive Refugee Response Framework (CRRF) via the Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD). It aims to provide a political framework to underpin and further enhance reforms and programmes. The project seeks to ensure there are better links between regional and national action. Moreover, it seeks to help the IGAD process address all refugees in the region in the context of the Djibouti Declaration on education for refugees, returnees and host communities, as well as the Kampala Declaration on Jobs, Livelihoods and Self-reliance. Focus is placed on maintaining asylum space and protection, and providing assistance and delivering durable solutions while combining efforts in countries of asylum and origin.
The project's overall objective is to strengthen and implement the IGAD GCR process, thereby providing increased safety and well-being to displaced populations and host communities.
The specific objectives seek to ensure that:
1. The regional dialogue on forced displacement is reinforced, regularly reviewed and tracked, and political focus to further the implementation of commitments and reforms is maintained;
2. A strong strategic partnership between key actors, notably IGAD and its Member States, UNHCR, the EU and the World Bank is promoted, improving international responsibility-sharing and ensuring that the GCR approach is delivered in a durable, efficient and coordinated manner;
3. Political commitments are translated into action by building synergies between the regional and national GCR processes and by ensuring they are mutually reinforcing, thereby ensuring durable solutions and development opportunities for refugees, returnees and host communities.
EUR 2 800 000
- Start date
- 31 Oct 2019
- Project locations
- UgandaSouth SudanSudanKenyaEthiopiaEritreaDjiboutiSomalia
- EU contribution
- €3 000 000
- Region and Country
- Horn of AfricaRegional Horn of Africa
- Improved migration managementStrengthening resilience of communities
- Intergovernmental Authority on Development